I’ve been working on a concept for new Notes application. I’ve used Balsamic a few times before but this was the first time I have tried to sit down and flush out a scheme in a day.
The results are below, its obviously still at concept stage but a day with the client and a day with Balsamic has left me with something that I can use for a reality check with the client and then put a fixed price against. I find that the process of working through the screens gives me the discipline to look through the users eyes and see both what they need to capture but also what they need to contend with in terms of its usability. The usability will be key in this case because the business process is quite demanding.
It has felt like quite hard going at times, I wish Balsamic had the equivalent of subforms for some of the elements so that if they were changed in one place they would change everywhere – e.g. the navigation bar. Each mesh diagram is essentially a totally separate image so when you add an extra tab into one you need to go back and add it to the others. Having said that it will still be a lot easier to change it as a Balsamic than it would be with Notes and probably even more so if your were using another development platform .